The Deep Collaboration Podcast
Mass-scaling video chat infrastructure with Emil from Jitsi & 8X8
Jason Thomas, Co-founder and CTO of CoScreen, and Emil Ivov, founder of Jitsi (acquired by Atlassian) and head of product at 8x8 are talking about scaling video infrastructure, open-source, and the future of meeting solutions.
In this episode, we are chatting with Emil Ivov from jitsi, a free open-source video conferencing software for web & mobile.
- 02:20 → How Jitsi maintained open-source identity after the Atlassian acquisition.
- 06:30 → How to make open source survive an acquisition.
- 17:00 → The world isn't lacking generic meeting solutions - "how do I waste less time over meetings."
- 19:30 → The commoditization of conferencing
- 20:00 → What made Zoom the leader in the conferencing space? "Zoom's strength is being a generic tool which is also their greatest weakness"
- 23:30 → How CoScreen is giving the natural background connection remotely.
- 25:50 → Jitsi's background infrastructure
- 30:45 → Zoom's end-2-end encryption and its importance in chat infrastructure
- 42:00 → Mass scaling Jitsi during a pandemic
- 46:30 → How CoScreen is using Jitsi
- 50:00 → Vp9 support and WebRTC application